Diabetes can cause loss of sensation in your feet, which can increase your risk of developing problems. Simply Feet’s qualified podiatrist, Michelle Gibson, recommends you check your feet daily to help spot any signs of trouble before they turn more serious. Start with buying the correct footwear, to help support you in every step.
HERE ARE THREE THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR DURING YOUR NEXT SHOE SHOP:
1. Ensure your shoes are the right fit, with snugness around the heel and wiggle room for the toes.
2. Find shoes that are seamless inside with no stitching to prevent rubbing of the skin.
3. Choose adjustable fastening, such as straps, laces or Velcro to allow for adaptable comfort.
Whilst shoes are important, you mustn’t forget their partner, the sock. The right socks are just as important when caring for your feet.
WHEN BUYING YOUR SOCKS, MICHELLE ADVISES:
1. They should be made of natural fibres such as wool, seaweed, bamboo or cotton as they are less stretchy and less likely to shrink and compress your toes.
2. Look for seamless socks as stitching at the toes and heels can rub or break the skin.
Explore our range of diabetic-friendly products to help you have happy and healthy feet.