What is hard skin?
A callus is an area of thick, hardened skin usually found over a bony area of your foot, on your heel or around the ball of your foot. Callus can be mild and annoying, or can be severe and painful.
Free Fact Sheet
Amber: You can treat this condition yourself BUT you should seek professional help if you want reassurance that what you are doing is the best approach for you.
Some Common Causes of hard skin
- Friction or pressure over a particular area of your foot
- Wearing incorrect footwear that which is not fitted correctly being too tight or narrow for your foot.
- The way that you walk could be causing this condition by putting pressure and friction on areas that are not designed to stand constant wear and tear. Flat feet are a good example.
- Being overweight.
- Your foot could have a bunion, which could be a source of callus.
- Wearing high-heeled shoes could cause this condition.
- Friction between your toes.
- Prolonged standing or overuse of your feet.
- After you have had an operation on your feet.
- An alteration of the bones of your feet either through surgery or another cause.
The main symptoms of hard skin
- Patches of thickened, glassy skin on your feet that may feel hard, rough or even tender when touched.
- Patches of callus can feel warm when you are walking on them. They can also ache if you have been walking for some time.
Treatment suggestions for hard skin
- Try and reduce the development of callus by wearing cushioned, shock absorbing insoles in your shoes.
- Use a callus remover such as a pumice stone, chiropody sponge or foot file.
- NEVER try and remove callus with a pair of scissors or a razorblade.
- Limit the amount of time you wear high-heeled or thin-soled shoes.
- Use moisturising foot care creams, powers and sprays to help keep the area of callus supple. Alternative creams are available that promote the breakdown of callus.
- If you have diabetes or a problem with your circulation or nerves be especially careful and consult your nearest HPC registered Podiatrist.
Starting at: £6.95
Akileine Pumice Stone£4.50
Bio Sana Pedifile
Starting at: £6.98
CCS Foot Care Cream
Starting at: £4.25
CCS Heel Balm 75g£6.25
Compeed Corns (10)£5.24
DualGel 3/4 Length Deep Insole (Covered)
Starting at: £21.50
DualGel 3/4 Length Deep Insole (Uncovered)
Starting at: £20.50
DualGel Gel Full Length Slim Insole (Covered)
Starting at: £23.50
DualGel Gel Full Length Slim Insole (Uncovered)
Starting at: £22.50
GelX Corn Pad Strip
Starting at: £9.95